All Saints Tin Chapel Middle Street Uplands
Posted by on January 01 1970 00:04:44
The Tin Chapel shown above, dedicated to All Saints, was used for public worship for about 40 years until the opening of the All Saints Church in May 1910. The road in the foreground is Folly Lane. The photograph is undated and attributed to Comley. He was succeeded by Peckhams from whom the print was obtained. The modern photograph was taken in 2004 and shows the same part of Middle Street, Uplands.
Uplands - now part of Stroud - was originally in the Parish of Painswick and became part of the Stroud Board of Health in the 1880's (whilst remaining in Painswick Parish). On the formation of the Stroud Urban District Council in 1894, Uplands Parish was established and for some functions remained independent of the town until the mid 1920’s, when the parishes of Stroud and Uplands were abolished.
According to Libby’s history of Stroud many Uplands residents used Stroud Parish Church for worship until it was closed in 1866 for demolition and rebuilding. During this time an approach was made to use an existing iron building on Slad Road which could seat 200. After the re-opening of Stroud Church in 1868 the use of the chapel continued. Eventually this was resited to Middle Street Uplands by Mr T Croome, who lived at Northfield House—now a nursing home. Later the building was too small and he replaced it with a new one able to seat 500.
All Saints, Uplands appears to be have been supplied by David Rowell and Co. Rowell supplied a range of flat pack buildings which could be shipped throughout the Empire which were “carefully marked at joints to permit easy erection by local workmen”. According to the catalogue the price included dispatch to a mainline railway station.
In 1875 Croome sold the building for £500 to a “committee of gentlemen” who had started a scheme to build a new stone church. It was a further 35 years before these efforts were successful when the current stone church designed by Temple Moore (1856—1920) was consecrated. At that time the church was dismantled and sold for use as a Cinema in Stonehouse. Sadly, its re-use was shortlived as the building was destroyed in a fire about two years after its rebuilding.